1. Who is eligible and are they selected?
- Age range of participants?
- Selection criteria - who are they looking for and what is the interview procedure?
- Choice of different programmes?
- Number of participants selected on each programme?
2. Who benefits from the programme?
- What will I gain from doing this?
- Will anyone else benefit from this placement apart from me ?
- Why are UK young people needed on this and who asked for us to do it?
- Will the programme continue after I have left?
3. How will you spend most of your time?
- How has the programme been chosen and checked out? Has a representative of the sending organisation had a good look?
- Are the host organisations paid to take me? Do they pay me?
- What exactly will I be doing?
- Will I be alone, who will I be placed with?
- What can I expect in terms of accommodation and food? You will need to be realistic here and expect local food - not mouth-watering culinary delights.
- What is expected of me? What will be my responsibilities?
- Do I have to sign anything? Is there a written agreement between me and the organisation?
4. A full breakdown of costs and where your money goes
- What is the precise programme cost and what does it cover?
- What is the recommended budget for extras?
- If I have to pay a deposit, is it refundable?
- When and how do I pay? What happens if I cancel?
- If I have to raise funds, does the organisation give advice?
Questions to organisations-part 2
Not every question below is relevant to all activities. Responses will vary from organisation to organisation. There are no "right" or "wrong" answers but their website should contain all the answers and be easy to find.
Year Out Group is a partner with the Foreign & Commonwealth Office's (FCO) Know Before You Go campaign.† The FCO has produced a travel checklist that is worth reading before every trip.